The holidays bring food, fun, and overnight guests. This is no time for plumbing problems. Here are three classic solutions to show that clogged shower drain who’s boss. There might be no need to call in the pros for a backed-up drain – try these tips first. Here’s how to unclog your shower drain before you call a plumber.
Boiling Water Trick
Try this for metal pipes only, not PVC. Bring a large pot or tea kettle to boiling. Pour the boiling water directly into the clogged drain a little at a time to dissolve the gunk that’s preventing your drain from flowing.
Make Your Own Solution
• Mix 1/3 cup of baking soda with 1/3 cup of vinegar in a heat-resistant measuring cup.
• As it begins to fizz (which will be immediate), pour the solution directly into the clogged drain. Let it sit for one hour, then turn on the faucet and let it run to help flush the pipes.
The Old Coat Hanger Trick
• You will need rubber gloves, a screwdriver, a wire coat hanger, and a strong stomach for this one.
• Wear rubber gloves and unscrew, or pry off the shower drain cover.
• Straighten out a wire hanger, but keep the tiny “hook” on the end.
• Feed the wire down the drain to pull out any gunk and debris that is causing the clog.
• After you’re done, pour boiling water into the drain and replace the drain cover.
For full article visit: bobvila.com